Symptoms of Gold Allergy and Solutions to Solve It

Symptoms of Gold Allergy and Solutions to Solve It

Aug 22nd 2022

Allergy to gold or any kind of allergy to jewelry is not unusual. But these people may not be allergic to the gold metal itself, and their body's allergic reactions are to other metals used in gold artefacts. One of the most common metals used in making all kinds of gold artefacts is nickel, which is extremely sensitive. In order to know whether you are allergic to the gold metal itself or to the nickel used in its construction, we invite you to follow the blog of the Amin jeweler until the end of this article.

What is gold sensitivity?

Pure gold is very soft and cannot be used to make jewelry and Ornaments. For this reason, gold is combined with other metals such as copper, silver and nickel to make it stronger. Also, all gold jewelry is plated with a layer of gold or rhodium to make it shiny and shiny. Other metals in gold enter into a chemical reaction with air oxygen, sulfur and moisture, and this causes the gold to turn black and dull after a while. It also causes skin allergies.

What are allergens?

Nickel is a resistant, malleable, relatively rare, shiny metal with a crystalline structure and a white and silver color. This metal belongs to the group of irons, which is hard and flexible, a conductor of electricity and one of the sensitizing factors.

Another metal used in the gold industry is cadmium. This metal is toxic and poses many risks to humans. Therefore, it is used with other compounds. Of course, the use of cadmium metal in making jewelry is very rare; but if this metal was used in their preparation, you may notice skin allergies after use. Cadmium is mostly used in making rhinestones.

Read More: Incredible Facts about Jewelry

Most of us think that it is not possible for gold to be allergenic and cause sensitivity on our skin,

Symptoms of Gold Allergy

But you should know that gold can also be allergenic to some extent. But the probability of this happening is very low and it is mostly seen in low grade gold. Because more copper and nickel have been used in these alloys. As a result, skin allergies are more likely to occur. Copper and nickel are metals that oxidize quickly in wet places. Therefore, if you have skin sensitivity, it is possible that in contact with these metals, in addition to blackening of the skin, you will also see itching and burning of the skin.

What are the symptoms of gold allergy?

Symptoms of an allergy to nickel in gold often appear 12 to 48 hours after using gold. Among others, we can mention the following:

  • Itching
  • Redness of the skin
  • Inflammation or blistering of the skin
  • Calluses

Also, creating a condition like a burn on the skin is one of the signs of sensitive skin against jewelry and jewelry. The most common areas of causing allergic reactions to jewelry are the earlobe (using earrings), fingers (using rings and rings), around the neck (using necklaces).

Pempholix is a type of blistering hand dermatitis that is common in people with a history of jewelry allergy and is caused by contact with other sources of nickel, such as coins or keys. A reaction to jewelry is not always caused by an allergy to a specific metal.

Note that if these symptoms are not treated, they may spread and spread to other parts of the body. Sweating of the body spreads the seed and the itchy place on the skin.

Ways to prevent gold sensitivity

If you find that you are allergic to nickel in gold and jewelry, one of the easiest things to do is to buy high-quality gold. These golds are less allergic.

The worst thing is that the gold coating also contains nickel, in this case the sensitivity will appear more than ever. It is best to buy gold that is nickel free.

It is better to use pure jewelry made of silver or palladium and other white metals or pure steel.

You can apply nail polish on jewelry and jewelry that you are allergic to. This type of nail polish is not visible because it is transparent and only creates a thin layer on the jewelry so that it does not come into contact with the skin.

One of the causes of sensitivity is the direct contact of jewelry and jewelry with the skin itself; the use of high-quality moisturizing creams creates a thin layer between the skin of the hands and the allergenic jewelry and prevents allergens from coming into contact with the skin.

Ways to treat jewelry allergy

The best way to treat a reaction is to use an over-the-counter topical corticosteroid cream. To reduce itching, be sure to moisturize your skin and put a cool compress on it.

If you develop a severe allergy when using gold, be sure to see your doctor, because you may need a stronger medicine. Sometimes, to avoid allergic reactions in the future, it is necessary to avoid using gold altogether.

Among other treatment methods, not using jewelry is the cause of dermatitis. If you have a jewelry allergy, a dermatologist can diagnose a nickel allergy by performing a patch test. If a nickel allergy is confirmed, you should avoid nickel-containing metals.

Which precious alloys do not have nickel and can be used without worrying about redness and itching of the skin? Platinum is one of them. Platinum is even more valuable than yellow gold. Because it is highly resistant to corrosion, it is not easily scratched and does not react in high heat. If you choose jewelry made of platinum, you will undoubtedly greatly reduce the possibility of sensitivity.

If platinum is too expensive for you, you can use sterling silver or stainless steel.

Titanium is another suitable option for those who are allergic to nickel and gold. This metal is very durable and light and is considered a good choice for everyday use.

What is gold sensitivity?

How do we know if we are allergic to gold or other metals?

In general, accurate identification of the metal that triggers allergic reactions in a person is commonly done with skin diagnostic methods (patch test). Therefore, in these methods, the asthma and allergy specialist touches a small area of the patient's skin with the suspect metal in a completely controlled manner, and after a specified time, the area in contact with the tested metal is examined for allergic skin reactions.

Gold allergy can be difficult to distinguish from other allergies, so you may mistake its symptoms for eczema or another type of skin inflammation. If you're allergic to gold, you'll likely experience a reaction every time you're exposed to gold.

White gold is more allergenic or yellow gold

White gold is more sensitizing than yellow gold. Because white gold is actually yellow gold with a layer of rhodium on it. It is possible that the yellow gold worked below has a low carat, and as a result, the amount of nickel in that piece will be high, and you will see redness and itching again.

Read More: The Importance of the Jewelry Box

Tips that people who are allergic to gold should know

In rare cases, you may be allergic even when you buy nickel-free or high-quality gold.

If you have had your ring resized, the jeweler may have used a metal that contains nickel to enlarge the ring. As a result, the ring will be sensitive after repair.

Before using jewelry that you are allergic to, you should completely dry your hand skin because the lack of moisture and pollution on the surface of the skin will reduce the allergic effects.

Avoid buying 10 or 14 carat gold so that your skin does not become red and itchy.

Avoid buying plated gold. Most gold plating contain nickel and can cause allergic reactions.

Do not buy white gold. Another recommendation is to never go for white gold. White gold is actually yellow gold with a layer of rhodium on it. The yellow gold under the work may have a low carat, and as a result, the amount of nickel in that piece will be high, and you will see redness and itching again.

Hypoallergenic jewelry is hypoallergenic and made with high-quality materials, so they definitely have a significant price compared to other jewelry. Also, you can often see this type of jewelry among brand name products. If the word "Hypo-allergic" was engraved on the jewelry box or cover, you can be sure that this product is less sensitive than other jewelry and will harm your sensitive skin less.

Jewelry testing for allergy testing

Jewelry testing for allergy testing

You can test your jewelry for nickel. There are nickel test kits that consist of two bottles containing a clear liquid. One of the bottles contains dimethylglyoxime and the other contains ammonium hydroxide. The combination of these two liquids in the presence of nickel creates a pink color. Pour a drop from each of the bottles on the desired metal. Then draw on the metal with cotton and pay attention to the color of the cotton. If it is colorless, the desired metal does not have nickel. If the cotton is pink, the tested metal contains nickel and will cause dermatitis if it comes into contact with the skin. These chemicals will not harm your jewelry.

New Product: 1.56 Ct Emerald & Trillion Cut Moissanite 18k White Gold 3 Stone Engagement Ring

Last word

The best way to prevent and control sensitivity to gold, especially jewelry containing nickel metal, is to avoid contact with such metals. It is better to buy high quality gold and preferably avoid white gold. For this purpose, you can trust the quality and high quality of hand-made jewelry of Amin jeweler and order your favorite models.