The size of the necklace is determined based on the length of the necklace chain. Since the necklace has several different standard sizes, you should also have your own personal measurement so that you can find the right size for you and make sure that this piece of gold on your neck shows itself properly and beautifully.
You can use a ruler or tape measure to measure the length of the chain.
The importance of measuring the necklace correctly
Accurate measurement of the necklace based on the neckline and collar is very important. Because if your necklace and neckline do not fit together, it will make your whole look unbalanced. The slightest imbalance in the blink of an eye can ruin everything. Therefore, it is very important to make sure that the length of the necklace you choose is shorter or longer than your collar line so that it does not get lost in your type and appearance.
Read More: How to put a few rings together?
Below we have reminded you of the general points that you can use to choose the right size of necklace for yourself.
- -Suitable for short necks and weekly collars, necklaces or bras with short chains.
- -For long necks and open collars, necklaces with medium chains are a good option. But be careful that your necklace never falls below the seven-neck line.
- -For clothes that have a ski collar, you can use long chain necklaces.
- -If the collar of your dress is round, use necklaces that have medium to long chains or long and elongated pendants.
- -If your collar has a lot of embroidery on it or the drape is pleated and patterned, it is better not to go for necklaces at all.
- -When wearing a sporty and masculine collar, choose a delicate necklace such as a plaque and chains.
- -In determining the size of the necklace for clothes that have a sloping collar, it is better to use asymmetrical necklaces.
- -Choker necklace is suitable for decollete clothes. If you want to make a choker necklace, make sure that the length of the chain is 5 cm longer than the size around the neck.
Suitable size for all types of necklace models
- Length (cm): 33_38
- Location: Sticked around the neck and completely above the clavicle
- Suitable for: all open collar dresses (V-neck), beaded neck and short neck
- Length (cm): 38_43
- Location: Slightly above the neck or just below the clavicle
- Suitable for: Almost everything / choker is very beautiful on elongated and concave necks
- Length (cm): 43_48
- Location: On the clavicle (the most popular necklace for the average woman)
- Suitable for: almost everything
Style: Banquet (Matinee)
- Length (cm) : 51_61
- Location: The lower clavicle and right in the center of the chest
- Suitable for: Formal and casual work clothes
- Length (cm): opera
- Location: From the top of the chest to several centimeters lower
- Suitable for: Long necks and evening dresses
- Length (cm): string/ rope
- Location: From the middle of the chest to the abdomen
- Suitable for: Very elegant formal dresses and evening dresses
How to measure the size of the necklace
Here are the steps to measure the size of the necklace:
Part 1: Measuring the length of the necklace chain
1- Unlock the necklace chain and place it on a flat surface. The size of the necklace is exactly the same as the length of the necklace chain. Therefore, in the first step you have to unlock the chain. Place it straight and without any curvature on a flat surface and make sure that the chain is not bent so that it is easy to measure.
2- Measuring the length of the belt with a tape measure or ruler. Place the meter or ruler parallel to the necklace and measure from the top of the chain to the end. Be aware that you should also consider the necklace lock in your measurement. That is, measure from the top of the chain lock to the end of the lock ring. If it has a necklace, pendant or medal, you do not need to measure it.
3- Write the obtained size on paper. If paper and pen are not available, you can write it on the mobile net. This size determines the size of your necklace. Comparison of measurements in most countries of the world is in centimeters, but in a country like the United States, the "inch" unit is used. It is up to you to measure the chain in inches or centimeters. Of course, it makes no difference, and we raised this issue just so that you can calculate and book correctly and accurately. Because some of the site's audience may reside in the United States. The number you get from the chain measurement is exactly the size you need to buy your next necklace.
Part 2: Determine the size of the necklace for you
1. Measure your neck
Determining the size of the neck is one of the most important measurements that determines the correct size of the necklace for each person. To get a neck size, wrap a tape measure, or if you do not have a meter, wrap a ribbon, ribbon, thin fabric around your neck. Make sure the meter is attached to the neck to get the neck circumference accurately and correctly. From the meter, specify the size of the neck circumference. If you are measuring with a ribbon or fabric tape around your neck, hold the point where the two ends of the tape overlap with your hand, place the fabric tape on a flat surface and measure it with a ruler or metal meter.
You need to add 2 to 4 inches, or 5 to 10 centimeters, to the number you get. In this way, the average size of the necklace is suitable for you.
- -If your neck size is 13 inches (33 cm) to 14.5 inches (36.8 cm), an 18-inch (45.7 cm) necklace will be the most appropriate choice for your neck.
- -If your neck circumference is 15 inches (38 cm) to 16.5 inches (41.2 cm), a 20-inch (50.8 cm) necklace will be a great fit for your neck.
- -If your neck circumference is 17 inches (43.2 cm) to 18.5 inches (47 cm), a 22-inch (60 cm) necklace is the most appropriate choice for your neck.
2- Buy a necklace with a standard size
If the size of the necklace chain cannot be changed, buy the standard size of the necklace. If you cannot change the size of the necklace to fit your neck size, we suggest that you go for the standard necklace size. But when buying, you must pay attention to buy the second size after the size of your neck. For example, if your neck size is 17 inches (43 cm), you should buy a standard size necklace of 20 inches (50 cm), not the standard size of 18 inches (45 cm).
3- Choose the size of the necklace based on your height
You need to measure your height to measure the length of the necklace chain. In addition to the exact size of the neck, you need to measure your height accurately because the height of people has a great impact on the appearance of the necklace. Each person should determine the size of the necklace according to their height. Long necklaces are not suitable for short people at all. Also, short necklaces are not seen at all on the necks of tall people and as a result will not have any effect.
If you are under 5 feet (1.5 meters) and 4 inches (162 cm) tall, you should choose a necklace with a size between 16 and 20 inches (40 to 50 cm).
People whose height is between 5 feet and 4 inches (162 cm) and 5 feet 7 inches (170 cm), any size of necklace is suitable for them and they can use different types of necklaces.
But for tall people who are more than 5 feet 7 inches (170 cm) or even taller, it is better to go for necklaces with long sizes.
4- Choose the size of the necklace based on your body shape
Choose a necklace whose size makes your body shape more beautiful. Just as different clothes make different parts of the body look different, the size of the necklace also plays an important role in making different parts of the body visible. For example, if you have a slim body, a short and thin necklace is the best choice for you. But, for example, those whose body is thick and somewhat fat, should choose long and thick necklaces so that the necklace around their neck looks good.
If you want to see more of the upper half of your body than any other part, you should choose a necklace that is below the collar and above the navel. Necklace size 20 to 22 inches (50 to 55 cm) is usually suitable for this purpose.
If your breasts are not prominent and you have a shapely upper body, we recommend choosing a 22-inch (55 cm) necklace that is slim.
5- Choose the size of the necklace according to the shape of the face
When determining the size of the necklace, you should keep in mind that this accessory can make fundamental changes in the way you see the shape of your face. What does it mean? This means that the size of the necklace can make your face appear more elongated, wider, narrower or shorter than the original shape of your face. Therefore, by choosing the right size of necklace, you can make your face more beautiful and shapely. How? As described below.
The choker necklace is between 10 and 16 inches (25 to 40 cm) in size. This necklace is very suitable for people who have a heart-shaped face and sharp and long chin, because it can hide the sharpness of their face to some extent. This tactic is also very useful for people who have a square or rectangular face.
People with round and round faces should avoid choosing and buying short necklaces. Because a short necklace will make the face look rounder. Long necklaces between 26 and 36 inches (66 to 91 cm) are much more suitable for those with wide and round faces.
Those with an oval face can use any shape and size of necklace they like.
Men and women necklace size difference
Standard necklace sizes for women
Women's necklace has 5 standard sizes. These necklaces fit almost all women in a specific part of their body; unless a woman is very tall or, conversely, very short. In such a case, it is likely that the size of her necklace is different from other women. But the standard sizes of women's necklaces are as follows:
- -The size of the choker necklace is 16 inches (40 cm).
- -The size of the Princess necklace is 18 inches (45 cm). Of course, this size may vary between 17 to 19 inches, ie 43 to 48 centimeters. The princess necklace is the size that fits on the collar of the dress.
- -The size of the Matinee necklace (show) is about 20 inches (50 cm), which often hangs under the collar of the dress.
If you want a necklace that hangs down to your chest, you should look for 20-inch (55 cm) long chains.
If you want the necklace to continue under the breasts and near the navel, you should choose a size of 24 inches (60 cm).
Standard necklace sizes for men
Men's necklaces have 4 standard sizes and their size is close to the size of a women's necklace. The standard sizes of men's necklaces are as follows:
- -Men with short necks should choose a necklace with a size of 18 inches (45 cm). This size often extends to the bottom of the neck.
- -The most common and popular size of men's necklace is 20 inches (50 cm), which has a long dress up to the collar.
- -Choosing a necklace with a size of 22 inches (55 cm) is suitable for those who want their necklace to be high up to the bottom of their collar.
- -Men who want a necklace to hang under their chest and above their navel should go for a size of 24 inches (60 cm).
Standard necklace sizes for children
Remember that the size of a children's necklace is different from an adult necklace. Children are generally shorter and have narrower necks, so the size of their necklace should be different from that of adults. Most necklaces made for children range in size from 14 to 16 inches (35 to 40 cm).